Ameduri Galante & Friscia Staten Island Personal Injury Attorneys
Injured? Get Help Now
Call: 347-682-2351
Representing The People Not The Powerful
View Our Practice Areas

After a car accident: who will pay your bills?

A car accident that happens in seconds may impact you for a lifetime. It is important to know that life does move forward and you will be okay. However, many people are very concerned with all of the bills that start coming in after an accident. Having to take time away from work while trying to recover makes it even more difficult to financially stay afloat. Many people wonder who will pay their bills after a car accident, and what rights they have to obtain compensation for their losses.

Negligent Driver's Insurance Company

Most personal injury cases that stem from a car accident are handled with the negligent driver's insurance company. After all, we have insurance for exactly this situation; an unforeseen event. Police reports and motorist reports, along with other evidence collected, are used to support the claim.

The insurance company may resist paying the claim, but many cases are settled out of court. However, it is important to have a lawyer on your side in the event the case progresses to court and you have to fight to have the insurance company pay for your losses, which can include:

  • Lost wages due to time away from work
  • Medical bills, including future medical care
  • Pain and suffering

Additional compensation may be available if a fatality occurred and you are attempting to put your life back together after the death of a loved one in a car accident.

Negligent Driver

Unfortunately, some drivers do not carry any auto insurance, even the minimal coverage required by law. If you are hit by a negligent driver who has no insurance or not enough insurance, there are two options. One option is to take direct legal action against the driver. However, if the amount of money is substantial, you may not recover all that you are seeking due to the driver's inability to pay. Another option is to seek payment from your own auto insurance company under Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UM/UIM) that is part of your own policy.

Before making any decisions, it is best to talk with an experienced personal injury attorney who has handled car accident cases and knows the best way in which to pursue the compensation you deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Don’t wait. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Ameduri Galante & Friscia Staten Island Personal Injury Attorneys

471 Bement Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10310

Phone: 347-682-2351
Fax: 718-273-5219
Map & Directions

Attorney Advertising